As college students, we are all too familiar with the constant headaches that come with school, work, internships, and relationships. We a stuck in the middle of a pendulum that swings from “You’re too old for that,” to “You can’t afford to pay for that.” The continual pressures and responsibilities inflicted upon us can cause a world of madness within our selves. As a college student, here are 5 tips that i use to avoid the avoid the craziness and maintain my sanity:
- Prayer: Being a Christian, having a personal relationship with Christ through prayer is one of the greatest blessings possible. Prayer gives me an opportunity to be honest, to be vulnerable, and to be open with the Most High. Whether its before I start my day, or after my day is already over, having a conversation with Christ allows me to few refreshed and gives me an energy to go out and face the world.
- Do a short reading: Remember, “a short story a day keeps the madness away.” It does not even have to be a book; it can be an magazine article, a blog, or just a quick poem. Just keeping my mind active by reading something presents me an inside into the lives of others and allows me to see my self in someone else’s shoes.
- Call home: This is probably the hardest for me to do. Not because I don’t want to talk to my loved ones, but because I’m so caught up in what i’m supposed to be doing at school and work, i sometimes forget to even communicate with them. I try to call home at least once a week to talk to my loved ones and let them know how things are going. When i call home i feel reassured that there are a lot of people who do love and support me. Getting the chance to talk to them is just a reminder of those feelings.
- Drink less caffeine and more water: Yes, i know the temptation is so blunt and in your face. From the vending machines, to the cashier asking you if “you want soda with that?”, we are constantly bombarded with advertisements reminding us to consume more and more caffeine. Not saying that drinking soda is the worst thing in the world, but lets not forget what we were originally made to drink-water. There are so many benefits that comes from drinking water, such as having an increase in alertness and mood, we cannot forget to ignore this one key ingredient in living a insanity-free life.
- Try talking to a random person: I always try to talk to someone new. He or she could be of a different ethnicity, a different religion, and/or even a different political affiliation. There are so many amazing, unique people in this world ( or in this case, on my campus ), i try not to let these differences keep me back from engaging in what could be an awesome conversation. I try to start of small when approaching new people. It may be a simple “Hey!”, or “How’s your day going?”, but you never know how far these small expressions can carry you.
So there you have it. The five tips that help me to maintain my insanity, while in college, are praying, reading a short story/article, calling home, drinking more water, and talking to new people.
Thank you for taking your time to read my blog. Have a great day.